MICROSOFT Open Value License Options
Choosing a Volume Licensing Programme for Your Organisation
Microsoft offers a variety of volume licensing programmes to help businesses purchase and manage their Microsoft software licenses. These programmes cover everything from smaller organisations with a handful of client computers to mega-organisations that manage tens of thousands of client and server components.
Volume Pricing is the most obvious benefit of these programmes. But Microsoft® Volume Licensing programmes also help organisations with tasks such as:
- Tracking software use to ensure legal compliance.
- Deploying updates and new versions, especially on client computers.
- Organising software license purchasing through centralised purchasing practices.
Microsoft Open programmes are available to a wide variety of organisations. They provide volume discounts for a minimal up-front cost.
The Open Programs offer many benefits, including:
- Simplicity. Start using licensed products as soon as your order is placed through the Open License pay-as-you-go model.
- Affordability. All Open Value License programmes offer flexible payment options so that you can stretch your software procurement budgets further.
- Flexibility. A broad worldwide partner channel makes sure you have convenient and fast access to thousands of software titles.
- Value. Manage licenses easily and conveniently through the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC).
To increase programme flexibility and keep the low-entry standard, the Microsoft Open Value programmes provide multiple purchasing options, including Open Value (Company Wide or Open Value Non–company Wide) and Open Value Subscription. Each is a three-year term commitment that includes Microsoft Software Assurance as a fixed benefit.
By choosing Open Value Company-wide, you receive the rights to the latest Microsoft licensed products with a single platform option. With the single platform option, you can customize your desktop PC as you choose components from an operating system, the Microsoft Office system, and CAL product pools, plus additional software products selected in your agreement that include the following platform product options.
- The Microsoft Office System: Microsoft Office Professional Plus and Microsoft Office Standard
- Operating Systems: Windows 7 Business upgrade (with rights to Windows 7 Professional)
- Client Access License (CAL): Microsoft Core CAL Suite, Windows Small Business CAL Suite (Standard and Enhanced), Windows Essential Business Cal Suite( Standard and Enhanced) and Enterprise Business Server CAL Suite
The Non–company-wide option is available for any product license purchases. If you need licenses for servers or for a limited number of client computers, you can open a Non–company Wide agreement.
Open Value Subscription
Similar to the Company (Organization)-Wide option, with the Subscription option, you pay a single price per desktop PC to deploy Microsoft technology as the standard across your organization. This option gives your organization the rights to run the software Company (Organization)-Wide only during the term of the agreement with Microsoft. You also have the ability to add the single platform option to an Open Value Subscription agreement. Also like the Company wide option, Open Value Subscription offers flexible annual payments tied to the number of client computers you have but with the lowest up-front costs. Open Value Subscription features include:
- Additional savings in the first year if you have current or previous versions of company-wide licensed products.
- The option to add the company-wide licensed products you have selected on new client computers throughout the year at no additional cost for that year.
- Lower payment through the years as your client computer count declines.
Public Sector Organisations
For public sector organisations, such as schools and government entities with less than 250 client computers, Microsoft offers versions of the Open License and Open Value programmes. The Open License for Academic and Open License for Government programmes are similar to the commercial Open License programme but with different pricing and partner channels. In some regions, government organisations can also participate in the Open Value for Government and Open Value Subscription for Government programmes. In other regions, charitable organisations can participate in the Open License for Charities programme.